Sunday, November 07, 2010

Padded hangers

I whipped three of these babies out while watching a movie--quick and easy! I hate it when my sweaters get those pokey-corners in the shoulders from my hangers. I know, I should probably fold them instead of hanging, but I dunno, I like to have all my clothes hung up. It makes them easier to see or something. Many times I've thought, 'Gee, I wish I had a padded hanger' but was too cheap (lazy) to go buy some. Little did I know they would be such a snap to make and the materials are things I have already.


Materials:
  • Plastic hangers
  • Ribbon
  • Tape
  • Plastic bags

Directions:
  • Wrap the plastic bags around the hanger (all except the hook part)
  • Use tape to secure the bags as you go and try to keep the padding even
  • When you begin wrapping, leave a foot-long tail hanging loose
  • Start at the top of the hanger just below the hook area and start wrapping your way around
  • When you get all the way around, cut the ribbon so there is another foot-long piece hanging off
  • Tie the two "tails" into a pretty bow and trim as needed

Some Tips:
  • I used wire ribbon, but you might prefer non-wired (wireless? hee hee) so there isn't risk of your clothes getting snagged
  • My spool of ribbon was too big to keep passing through the middle of the hanger, so I cut it before wrapping.
  • I estimated the length of ribbon by measuring the three sides of the hanger and doubling that, then adding another two feet for the tails.
    By "measure" I mean I held the ribbon up to each side of the hanger. Actual measuring is WAY too much work for me =)
These are great to make for yourself, or possibly as a gift. If you sew items (clothes, baby blankets, etc...) for friends and family, it might be nice to make a matching padded hanger as part of your presentation.

No comments: