Thursday, November 04, 2010

Can-o-plant -- gifts on the cheap

Well here you have it folks, my first crafty blog entry. Woohoo! Yes, I need to work on my photography skills, and yes, that is a kid table with visible scribbles on top, but hey, you gotta start somewhere!

My most creative and thrifty gifts are borne from - Oops I forgot to buy something so now I have to make something - circumstances. This was no exception.

A friend was grieving so a plant seemed like a symbolic choice of gifts. Life-affirming, pretty, calming, and created from items I had around the house already.

Supplies:
  • Cutting from a plant (I used an African Violet which I have in excess)
  • Potting soil
  • 1 can (thanks for your sacrifice, delicious mandarin oranges)
  • Scrapbook paper
  • Double-stick tape (because I hate stinky glue)
  • A card or tag made from coordinating scrapbook paper*
Instructions:
  1. Find a can and clean it with soap and water, then dry thoroughly. I was going to use a baby-formula container but much to my dismay, a 12x12 sheet of scrapbook paper doesn't wrap all the way around it. So I chose a regular sized food can instead. Measure the can and cut a strip of paper to fit.
  2. Use double-stick tape to adhere your paper to the can. It's pretty already! You could make it into a pencil holder instead, or makeup brush container, or pipe-cleaner storer. Oh the possibilities! Stick to the plan, Sarah, stick to the plan. (yes I sometimes refer to myself in third person).
  3. Toss some dirt in the bottom, grab your plant cutting and put it on top, pack it in firmly and add a little water.
  4. Attach a tag or card of your choosing and you're done! The gift recipient will want to re-pot this on their own.
Props to The Hazel Bloom for inspiration on this project. Check it out for another take on this idea. Cheery wedding favors...and far better photography ;-)

*The card has a pretty leaf design cut-out on it, made with my Cricut. I barely know how to use that machine but boy is it awesome! Check back for future posts on Cricut projects.

No comments: