Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Round platter ... or something (decoupage)

Wow, it's been 6 months since my last entry. I apologize profusely to my one, maybe two, readers. :P

I have an excuse! Holidays took over, then we decided to start house-hunting...you know...just to get an idea of what was out there. Then on our 3rd trip out, we found the perfect house! So here I am. Three months into our new house (old house about to sell) and I finally have a second to breathe.

Like many crafters out there, I am in love with Goodwill. I want to go there an obscenely frequent amount of time. Here's something I picked up on a recent outing to my local Goodwill. A really cute little circular wooden platter. It's black, and would be just fine to use as-is, but I wanted to do something with it. I have some really pretty paper, so decided to decoupage the paper to it. Still not sure what this is, but it's pretty!

Here's how it went:

  1. Assembled my materials: platter, glue, paper, scissors, and pencil (added later: black paint and small paintbrush)
  2. Traced around the platter onto some gorgeous paper (I think this is Basic Grey, but am not sure)
  3. Cut out the circle
  4. Glued circle to top of platter
  5. It's hard to see in the picture below, but there is a slight indentation around the edge of the platter, where I put paper over top of the routered gappy area (official term). Much deliberation occurred...to cut, or not to cut?!!
  6. Decision made - I whipped out the old Xacto and went to town, cutting into the indentation
  7. My Xacto cutting skills apparently aren't up to par because I dug into the wood a bit as I went around.
  8. Easy to fix though! I just grabbed an old paintbrush and some black paint, and tidied things up
  9. It turned out really cute and is currently displayed on a little easel like you might display a fancy plate.
  10. I'm not sure this project is totally done...maybe I'll turn it into a picture frame, or put a chloche on it and display some cute stuff inside, or buy some clock parts and make it into a clock. Who knows?! If you have ideas, send 'em my way!




No comments: